Here's the latest info shared by WHO's Adriana Velázquez regarding Medical Devices and the World Health Organization (November 2020 Edition).
Dear colleagues, we wish you and your families are doing well, stay safe. Please find the following 3 sections: 1. New Interim guidance, publications, and training material; 2. Non- COVID Information; 3. Ongoing projects on medical devices, November-December 2020.
1. New Interim Guidance, Publications, and Training Material
1.1 On Medical Devices: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-MedDev-TS-O2T.V2
- More information can be found https://www.who.int/medical_devices/priority/COVID-19_medequipment/en/
- Table including the products assessed by WHO for the pandemic global supply can also be found here.
1.2 On the Personal Protective Equipment https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-PPE_specifications-2020.1
- On the use of masks: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/advice-on-the-use-of-masks-in-the-community-during-home-care-and-in-healthcare-settings-in-the-context-of-the-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)-outbreak
- Use of masks for children: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-IPC_Masks-Children-2020.1
1.3 On In-Vitro Diagnostics
- Information about emergency use listing, https://extranet.who.int/pqweb/vitro-diagnostics/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-pandemic-%E2%80%94-emergency-use-listing-procedure-eul-open (new website).
- Laboratory assessment https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/laboratory-assessment-tool-for-laboratories-implementing-covid-19-virus-testing (23 October 2020)
- More documents on Laboratories and diagnostics can be found here.
1.4. On the Role of Imaging Diagnostics (now available in 7 languages)
- You can find the role of ultrasound, chest X-rays and CT scanners, here. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/use-of-chest-imaging-in-covid-19
- And you can review chapter 8 of the Priority medical devices for COVID for the technical specifications https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-MedDev-TS-O2T.V2
1.5. The Emergency Global Supply catalog (Updated 11 November 2020)
1.6 Training and learning (new courses on PPE and clinical management)
- https://openwho.org/ “OpenWHO is WHO’s interactive, web-based, a knowledge-transfer platform offering online courses to improve the response to health emergencies. OpenWHO enables the Organization and its key partners to transfer life-saving knowledge to large numbers of frontline responders.”
- https://www.who.int/about/who-academy/ “With COVID-19 science now doubling every 20 days and new guidance being published daily by WHO, the WHO Academy continues to improve its COVID - 19 mobile learning app so that health workers can keep up with the constantly evolving knowledge related to this disease.”
2. Non-COVID Information
2.1 Launch of the Global Strategy to accelerate the elimination of cervical cancer 17 November 2020
- Information: https://www.who.int/news-room/events/detail/2020/11/17/default-calendar/launch-of-the-global-strategy-to-accelerate-the-elimination-of-cervical-cancer & https://www.who.int/health-topics/cervical-cancer#tab=tab_1
- New technical guidance and specifications of medical devices for screening and treatment of precancerous lesions in the prevention of cervical cancer
Other publications soon to be launched on Radiotherapy, post-market surveillance.
3. Ongoing Projects November-December 2020
Innovation submissions and country updates surveys close 30 November, for reporting 2020.
Thank you to many of you that applied! WHO has hired or finalizing the process for 20 consultants for the following projects to be done November - December, please find information below.
You might be contacted or you can contact us for any of these projects:
|Nomenclature of Medical Devices||Follow up the 145/3||
This Will be followed by discussion in the Executive Board 148/11 in January 2021 https://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB148/B148_1(draft)-en.pdf
Member States consultation on 30 November 2030. More information will be available (to come).
|Innovative technologies for low resource setting||Assess innovative technologies: specifications, regulations, HTA, in the intended settings||
LAST CALL for Innovations to be included in the Compendium of Innovative Health Technologies for Low Resource Settings.
If you are interested in being a reviewer, please contact us or complete this survey, and your expertise and conflict of interest will be considered.
Update of Global Atlas of medical devices: Updated of country data
|Support facility assessments of biomedical equipment including oxygen sources, (inventory survey listed above) support the provision of country information for any of the surveys mentioned in section 2 above||
Focal points of Global Atlas will be contacted in November to provide updated information.
|Facility surveys||To assess the availability of health products, WHO has developed several tools, which can be found||
https://o2therapy.surveycto.com/collect/who_covid_oxygen_therapy_scto_open?caseid= Username:biomedequipment Password: facilityoxygen20
|Donations of medical devices||Consolidate information on donated equipment status, use of guidance documents, and how to improve donations||
|Local production and technology transfer of medical equipment, personal protective equipment, IVDs, and other medical devices||Support C-TAP and Technology Access Partnership to increase access of essential and priority health products||
Priority Medical Devices Information system
Let’s remember the importance of increasing access to affordable, appropriate, good quality medical devices, especially for those that need them the most!
Adriana Velazquez Berumen, MSc. | Biomedical Clinical Engineer | Team Lead Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostics, MDD | Health Product Policy and Standards Department, HPS | Access to Medicines and Health Products Division, MHP | World Health Organization, WHO | Geneva, Switzerland
Web: www.who.int www.who.int/medical_devices/en/ | Follow WHO on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.