Here's the latest info shared by WHO's Adriana Velázquez regarding Medical Devices and the World Health Organization (July 2020 Edition).
We are now past mid-2020 and with huge concerns on the 3 million cases of COVID-19 and half a million that have lost their lives to this deadly virus. We need to continue to work together in the most effective and impactful way.
This month, the newsletter has 3 sections organized by:
- Information and guidance
- Action Requested
Open Vacancies or Consultations
Information and Guidance
Technical specifications for procurement of medical equipment
1. This week new technical specifications for the following medical devices for clinical management of COVID patients, have been published Please visit: https://www.who.int/medical_devices/priority/COVID-19_medequipment/en/
The List of Priority Medical Devices for COVID, describes the medical devices, the purpose, and the settings where it can be used: https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/list-of-priority-medical-devices-for-covid-19-case-management
These technical specifications describe the minimum requirements that the medical devices must comply with to ensure quality, safety and effectiveness when used for the management of COVID-19. Access technical specifications for invasive and non-invasive ventilators (15 April 2020) ( new version will come in a week time)
- COVID-19 Technical specifications for procurement of oxygen therapy and monitoring devices (final draft 10 July 2020) pdf, 828kb
- COVID-19 Technical specifications for infusion devices (final draft 10 July 2020) pdf, 429kb
- COVID-19 Technical specifications for portable ultrasound (final draft 10 July 2020) pdf, 292kb
The 3 draft specifications above will be integrated in a single publication along with other sets that are being updated including PPE.
2. Update your country’s information for the Global Atlas on Medical Devices, so that the information is updated.
Training and Learning
https://openwho.org/ offers free multiple courses in different languages. Latest ones:
- Decontamination and sterilization of medical devices
- Standard precautions: Environmental cleaning and disinfection
Open Vacancies or Consultations
New vacancies or consultations open for Biomedical engineers in WHO
- Grade: P4
- Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
- Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): Two years
- Closing Date: Jul 29, 2020, 11:59:00 PM
- Primary Location: India-New Delhi
In support of the Supply Department, the selected Consultant will be expected to complete the technical evaluation of medical devices [ITB-2019-LTA-BP-017-Medical Devices, ITB-2019-LTA-BP-016-WHO Cholera 2020 Kit and ITB-2020-LTA-BP-032-WHO Collection Testing and Transfusion kit 2020 (CTT-2020)] in reply to international tender processes.
Consultants for 3 projects:
For Biomedical/ Clinical engineer with more than 5 years’ experience, excellent English. Desirable: postgraduate degree and experience working in hospitals, databases, and knowledge of clinical settings and interventions.
PLEASE STAY SAFE!!
Adriana Velazquez Berumen, MSc. | Biomedical Engineer | Group Lead Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostics, MDD | Health Product Policy and Standards Department, HPS | Access to Medicines and Health Products Division, MHP | World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland