Here's the latest info shared by WHO's Adriana Velázquez regarding Medical Devices and the World Health Organization (April 2021).
Dear colleagues, hoping you are doing well and safe, we need to continue working together in steady steps to ensure PPE, oxygen and medical equipment, and in vitro diagnostics are available for all that need them!
Find below the latest information and please disseminate in your networks: 1) Oxygen related medical equipment WHO information webinar, 2) Essential in vitro diagnostic information, COVID-19 technical specifications, and 3) We invite you to review the recent WHO Medical Devices Webpage and expression of interest for consultants and innovation.
1. Oxygen and Related Equipment Information and Webinar on May 4th
WHO invites all interested to a webinar on the 4th of May to present tools and guidelines: COVID-19: Bridging the gap between oxygen needs and technical solutions.
The World Health Organization and partners are pleased to invite you to the COVID-19: Bridging the gap between oxygen needs and technical solutions webinar.
When: 4th May 2021, 1330 - 1530hrs CET | Registration: https://who.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_CjoKgdpRT2u1xt0IwvF7eg
Languages: Presentations will be English with French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Arabic (live audio translation available).
- Biomedical Equipment:
- Technical specifications, standards, LMIC considerations.
- The Oxygen Ecosystem: sources, distribution, delivery.
- Holistic Oxygen/Biomedical Equipment assessment and proposal approach:
- The phased technical approach to build a proposal
- Multi-disciplinary engagement: simple decision-making processes
- Orientation to tools and resources
Oxygen is an essential medicine, indispensable for COVID-19 treatment, and is very much in need in all settings! Oxygen is also essential for surgery, pneumonia, trauma, and any other hypoxia condition in Vulnerable groups like the elderly, pregnant women, and newborns who need oxygen on regular basis. More information, news, and publications…
On the 23rd of April, the celebration of the one year of the ACT- Accelerator took place and important support for oxygen and related medical equipment is now taking place in the
Therapeutics Pillar – co-convened by Unitaid and Wellcome: The Covid-19 Oxygen Emergency Taskforce needs to meet the needs of more than half a million COVID-19 patients in LMICs who need oxygen treatment per day.
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Treatment and Oxygen Equipment
- Procurement Advice
- Quality Assurance
2. Essential In Vitro Diagnostics Consultation
We are glad to share with you the new WHO website for in vitro diagnostics (IVDs), which has relevant information and news regarding WHO work on essential IVDs:
- After the launch on 29 of January, you can download the PDF version of the Report of the third meeting of the WHO Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on In-Vitro Diagnostics, 2020, including the Third WHO model list of essential in vitro diagnostics (EDL), which the main objective is to present the evidence for the new tests so that countries can add them in their national in vitro diagnostic lists
- You can also check the electronic EDL to facilitate the search and listing of the tests. The beta version of the e-EDL.
- Last but not least, you can watch the video of the Launch of the EDL 3 Access Passcode: fL.SSaC1
3. WHO Medical Devices Webpage
And we invite you to review the recent WHO Medical Devices Webpage which is being migrated and updated with new information for your consideration.
Expression of interests calls:
- Joint UNICEF/WHO REOI Innovative Medical PPE Products (ungm.org)
Many thanks, best regards & stay safe!
Adriana Velazquez Berumen, MSc. | Biomedical Clinical Engineer | Team Lead Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostics, MDD | Health Product Policy and Standards Department, HPS | Access to Medicines and Health Products Division, MHP | World Health Organization, WHO | Geneva, Switzerland