Blog & News
WHO Medical Devices Newsletter, June 2022
- June 23 2022
- Adriana Velazquez
Here's the latest info shared by WHO's Adriana Velázquez regarding Medical Devices and the World Health Organization (June 2022).
Dear colleagues, hoping this message finds you safe and in good health. Please find: all WHO information as follows: past newsletters here; medical devices here; in vitro diagnostics here; oxygen related here; Health technology assessment here ; MEDEVIS here.
Launch of 2022 WHO compendium of innovative health technologies for low-resource settings
World Health Assembly 75 (WHA75), Decision on Nomenclature of Medical Devices
2022 WHO compendium of innovative health technologies for low-resource settings
The World Health Organization is very pleased to invite you to the Launch of the 2022 Edition of the WHO compendium of innovative technologies for low-resource settings.
When: Jun 28, 2022 02:00 PM CET
Registration: Please register in advance
Ten years have passed since the first edition of the Compendium. Throughout the last decade, over 250 emerging and innovative health technologies addressing the unmet needs of resource-limited contexts were compiled, showcased and disseminated in an effort to enhance investment in high-quality, appropriate, affordable medical devices to support universal healthcare coverage and emergencies and outbreaks.
All details on the event can be found online here (including the webinar recording and the presentation slides after the event).
We look forward to your participation, and please disseminate to interested colleagues.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com
World Health Assembly 75 (WHA75) Decision on Nomenclature of Medical Devices
On 28th of May, the item 14.8 Standardization of medical devices Nomenclature, was discussed in the World Health Assembly (WHA75). The following Decision was agreed:
“…and re-affirming WHO’s role in the development, in a transparent and evidence-based way, of norms, standards and a standardized glossary of definitions relating to medical devices, as requested in resolution WHA60.29 (2007),
Decided to request the Director General:
(1) to integrate available information related to medical devices, including terms, codes and definitions, in the web-based database and clearinghouse established in line with resolution WHA60.29 (2007) and now available as the Medical Devices Information System (MEDEVIS); and to link this to other WHO platforms, such as the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11),4 to serve as a reference to stakeholders and Member States;
(2) to submit a substantive report on progress made in implementing this decision to the Executive Board at its 152nd session in January 2023 and its 156th session in January 2025”
For more information:
- Please Watch WHA 75 sessions recording and access all related documents.
- Decision Standardization of medical devices nomenclature A75(25) May 2022
- Review the two documents related to nomenclature of medical devices included as background to the decision:
- A75/11- Standardization of medical devices nomenclature International classification, coding and nomenclature of medical devices, The Report (background, intersessional meetings, mapping possibilities, WHO platforms.
- A75/11 Add.1- Standardization of medical devices nomenclature, which includes the draft proposals for the decision taken.
- For more information on all events, consultations and Governing Bodies discussions, on Nomenclature of medical devices, please visit: WHO Nomenclature of medical devices website.
Besides, the 2022 edition of the Global Atlas of Medical Devices will be published in the next months, following an approval process. (More information Here).
If you require additional information, please contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please stay safe and take care, Adriana Velazquez Berumen, MSc. | Biomedical Clinical Engineer | Team Lead Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostics, MDD | Health Product Policy and Standards Department, HPS | Access to Medicines and Health Products Division, MHP | World Health Organization, WHO | Geneva, Switzerland
Web: www.who.int | www.who.int/medical_devices/en/ | Follow WHO on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.